Pipehouse Lane lay between Newtown and Preston Street and was named after a manufactory of clay pipes that was an obvious industry to complement the importation of tobacco. The making of clay pipes was also a precursor to the pottery industry that later flourished in this part of town. The first pipehouse was built about 1698 on part of what had been Hodgson's Croft let to Abel Robinson and a second was built in 1701 and ran by Thomas Birch. Pipemaking continued as an industry until the middle of the 19th century.
Pipehouse Lane at one time also led to two other long lost streets, Norway Lane and Guinea Street.
Return to Whitehaven History
Return to home page
© WAWL 2010